Embrace Family Time This Holiday Season With These Festive Ideas
December 8, 2022
This time of year is all about spending time with those you love! And maybe a little bit about enjoying some of the traditions you’ve established with those loved ones over the years. If you’re looking for ways to bring more holiday cheer into your home, here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Have a holiday cookie bake-off. Nothing says “happy holidays” like an artfully embellished snowman or reindeer cookie! Challenge your family to a bake-off or a decorate-off—the latter being more appropriate for those who’d rather get pre-baked cookies and just enjoy the artsy part. The winner gets bragging rights through 2023.
2. DIY some festive decor. If your home isn’t already all decked out for the season, what are you waiting for? Invite your crafty family members to help you create a seasonally inspired vignette, a beautiful holiday place setting, or festive front-door decor. Start with some of these ideas.
3. Set up a FaceTime date. When you can’t be with the ones you love, video chatting is the next best thing! Set up a virtual holiday party via Zoom, FaceTime, or another platform and enjoy some apps and holiday drinks with your friends and family joining you from all over the country or the world. You could even play one of these Zoom-friendly holiday games!
4. Enjoy holiday light displays. What’s better than free holiday cheer? Spend some time scouting out the best holiday displays around—either professional drive-through light displays or just decked-out neighborhoods—then load up your car with the whole family and take a twilight holiday tour.
5. Start a new tradition. If none of these ideas feel quite right, maybe this is the year that you should launch a totally new holiday tradition. Plan a staycation and visit local landmarks or gather your kids and write holiday cards to little ones at a local children’s hospital.
Here are a few other ways you can bond anew this holiday season.