Use These Helpful Tips for Back-to-School
August 21, 2017
Back-to-school season is stressful for everyone involved, but it's also one of the most exciting times of the year. If you want to make your back-to-school transition a bit more fun than fretful, use these tips for parents and children.
- Meet the new teacher. Many schools offer parents the opportunity to meet the new teacher via email, phone call or in person, so if yours doesn't, you may want to introduce yourself on your own. Set up a meeting with the teacher ASAP into the school year, or make a point to make it to the first open house.
- Take a tour of the school. Since many children are very nervous about starting a new school year at a new school, it may help to take them on a tour of the school before the first day. This way, they'll get to know where their classrooms are, how to find their lockers and more.
- Look for old friends. Be sure to talk to other parents to find out which kids are in your child's new class. This way, particularly shy students will know if they already have a friendly face in the crowd.
- Go school shopping ahead of time. Instead of saving all of your school supply shopping for the day before school starts, do your kids' shopping bit by bit in order to find the best bargains. Take a copy of the required school supply list and check things off as you go.
- Talk to your kids. Most importantly, talk to your kids about their feelings about going back to school. Ask them if they have any concerns, and be sure to always instill kindness and friendliness in your children when it comes to meeting new classmates.